Thursday, July 3, 2008

Boating and Stargazing up at the Lake

We left Grandma and Grandpa's house at around 10:30 Tuesday morning... Stopped at three rest stops, plus a Denny's at 3 and Glens Falls to pick up their prescriptions and stuff. So we didn't get to the trailer until a little before 7. I drove the van for about 45 minutes between two of those rest stops to let Grandpa get a quick nap in. The steering was a bit different but I got the hang of it. Grandpa and I went for a walk at around 9 and we hung out outside the Howards' for a bit. Then Grandpa went back and I told him I'd visit my friend Nick up the hill. So I checked in with Nick and decided to stay for a bit and called the trailer to let them know. That's why I was surprised that, at around 11:30, a van pulled up outside Nick's place. Grandpa was in it and was looking for me because he and Grandma were worried. Nick and I hung out until around midnight and we went to the beach to look at stars because it was nice and clear. We saw a few of those shooting stars that you're not quite sure if they were your imagination or not.

And then today at around 12:30, I went down to the beach and hung out with everyone there until a little after 7. It was a really nice day. The weather was perfect and it was just awesome. I think it was around 4:00 when Nick and I decided to take the boat out and go swimming. Justin came with us, too. We were on there for like an hour and a half. It was the first time that I was the oldest kid on the boat... I was the responsible one. I had to come back to the trailer for dinner but went back out to hang out with the kids at around 8:30. Then from around 9 until 10:30, Nick, Tyler and I took the boat out again to look at stars. I found three satellites in about 10 or 15 minutes. Then Tyler found two. And then he kept finding more, I think a total of five. So I felt like the mentor, teaching Tyler how to find those and Nick on how to find the shooting stars and they were finding a whole lot more than me. And then we did more stargazing until 11 because one of them actually has a bedtime (they're both 13, come on). So I came back to the trailer and watched some WRGB/CBS 6 News with Grandpa before convincing him to come outside with me to look at the stars. He found one satellite and we both saw the same two pretty decent shooting stars in the 50 minutes we were out there. The only thing better than seeing a shooting star is seeing one with someone else.

I'm having a ton of fun up here... and I feel like I could stargaze all night long. Tomorrow's weather might not be so nice, though...

Sent from my Palm Centro smartphone.

No comments: