Saturday, March 22, 2014

Irwin Simner, 1936-2014

So very sad to hear the news that Irvin Simner passed away today.

I spent years working with him engineering his "Out Behind The Barn" on WRHU "88.7 FM Radio Hofstra University" (back when we thought launching an AIM screen name for the show was a huge deal). I learned so much from him about broadcasting and music. He loved his country music and was eager to share videos and songs with me and many others.

Alex Dollin, Irv (Irwin/Irvin) Simner, Kara Koch and Geoffrey Sorensen (Photo: March 2006)
I'm not sure that most people ever knew just how much preparation he put into his shows every week, carefully planning out the songs for the couple of hours he was on the air, often with a theme. (I particularly enjoyed his Valentine's Day shows when he'd play songs about cheating and breaking up. He had quite a sense of humor.) He knew I didn't feel comfortable using the turntable so I was thankful that he always had his shows ready on just a few CDs... but he'd also keep me on my toes and have me play some records every once in a while.

We enjoyed talking about politics with each other. We rarely debated, but only because we usually had the same views.

He had a loyal fan base and developed very close relationships with his listeners over the decades -- many of them calling in from places like North Carolina and Florida.

He was very involved with the station and always showed up to help out at fundraising marathons and of course the parties and banquets. He thought of his WRHU colleagues as family. And those of us who spent those Sunday mornings with him definitely felt the same of him.

I'll miss you, Irv. Thank you for everything you taught me... and also for the doughnuts every week.

(Photo: March 2006)

1 comment:

Tim Faracy said...

Heard about IRV's death only now on Oct 19th, from the host of The Country Show on WHPC,Michael Anthony. I used to listen to IRV's show from about 25 years ago until WRHU began having a lot of interference from unlicensed stations in my area of Brooklyn. The last time I heard him was maybe Easter Sunday last year when the other stations were not on. I met IRV once at J&R Music on Park Row in Manhattan as he was searching for a George Jones song. I recognized him since he had appeared at Doug Tuchman's Bluegrass competition which was then held at Floyd Bennett Field in Brooklyn. I always wondered if IRV brought in all his CDs for his engineer to cue up one song from for each show's theme or if he copied the needed songs onto a few CDRs. I recall his birthday show for himself each year when he played a whole show of his favorite country singer Faron Young. I also recall that around the time I first found his show he often said that his records were out of reach at his ex wife's house. He also mentioned his daughter often. He joins a few other country djs lost in recent years from local NY radio,Doug Tuchman from WKCR and Paul Bain from WFDU(formerly of WFUV).