Tuesday, June 17, 2008

The Mets Turn a New Page

I'm mixed about what happened with the Mets. I went to bed last night with an 8-3 lead and woke up to find out that Willie was fired. We've been talking about it for weeks but I was still surprised that it finally happened. They've been so indecisive that I thought it might never happen. A few weeks ago, I thought that he had to go, but lately I've been hoping that they could turn it around and that no one would have to be fired.

Most fans, though, wanted Willie gone but now everyone feels bad for him and is criticizing the team. Way to go. They couldn't even pull off making a decision that the consensus wanted. That takes a major screw-up.

I think Omar Minaya has to start fearing his own job security and, if they Mets don't turn it around, he could be gone before next season. He loaded up the Mets with so many aging players and relied way too much on Alou being healthy. There was no backup plan until now that he's on the DL for the third time before the first three months were done.

I've got to wonder if what happened at the beginning of tonight's game (with Reyes showing that he was slightly hurt, Manuel deciding to replace him with Easley, and Reyes storming off the field and throwing down his helmet) was possibly a stunt to show that he's boss and that he's not Randolph. But I'm probably being too cynical.

Still, I'm kind of excited about this. We needed something. It almost feels like a new season and I'm curious to see how different Manuel's managing style will be.

No comments: